Mid Devon District Council (MDDC) is seeking community views on a new consultation about towns and
parishes within the district.
MDDC began the Parish Review (formally known as a Community Governance Review)
in November 2021 and it is likely to run for around one year.
As part of the process the Council will be reviewing all towns and parishes in Mid Devon
and will be considering a number of options. These include:
- creating, merging, altering or abolishing parishes
- changing the name of parishes
- the electoral arrangements for parishes (number of councillors, warding)
- grouping parishes under a common parish council or de-grouping parishes.
Cllr Polly Colthorpe, Chairman of the Electoral review Committee said: “The aim of a
Parish Review is to improve local democracy and provide more effective local services,
and it is often needed because of the growth and development of an area. What is most
important is that we take into account community views as this whole process is all about
improving democracy at a really local level.”
At the end of the review period the Council will make a number of recommendations
which will be made available in a public document, including the reasoning behind each
Recommendations could include:
- boundary changes
- revised electoral arrangements
- the abolition of a parish/es
- grouping or ungroup existing parishes
- changing the name of a parish council, to reflect any boundary changes as appropriate.
Any changes as a result of the review would come into effect for the 2023 all-out
The Council is at the first stage of consultation and is seeking your views. We would
welcome comments from individuals and organisations.
Please use the comment form to share your views. You can also call 01884 255255,
email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Parish Review, Electoral Services,
Phoenix House, Phoenix Lane, Tiverton EX16 6PP.
This first phase of consultation runs from December 16th 2021 for a period of eight
Note to Editors:
For more information please contact:
Mid Devon District Council
Tel: 01884 255255